Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County, Indiana selected as ‘Affiliate of Distinction’ for its service and innovation
SOUTH BEND, Indiana (March 23, 2017) — Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County, Indiana is one of 23 organizations recognized by Habitat for Humanity International as an “Affiliate of Distinction”. There are just under 1,400 Habitat affiliates in the United States.
The Affiliates of Distinction program was established by Habitat for Humanity to honor local Habitat organizations that meet or exceed best-practice standards and who uphold their work across the Habitat network.
“No matter who we are or where we come from, we all deserve to have a decent place to live. We deserve to know we have the power to take care of ourselves and build our own futures,” says Executive Director Jim Williams. “At Habitat for Humanity, this is what unites us. Through affordable housing we empower families; and we are very fortunate to work in a community that has embraced this vision. This award is really for our community.”
For 30 years, Habitat has worked in St. Joseph County to help local families achieve strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. Through their homeownership program, more than 428 families have built or improved a place they can call home.
The complete list of this year’s Affiliates of Distinction include:
- Atlanta Habitat for Humanity (GA)
- Austin Habitat for Humanity (TX)
- Beaches Habitat for Humanity (FL)
- Habitat for Humanity of Champaign County (IL)
- Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte (NC)
- Habitat for Humanity of Clallam County (WA)
- DuPage Habitat for Humanity (IL)
- Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley (CA)
- Genesee County Habitat for Humanity (MI)
- Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity (IA)
- Greater Fox Cities Area Habitat for Humanity (WI)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (CA)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh (NY)
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater San Francisco (CA)
- Habitat for Humanity of Huron Valley (MI)
- Houston Habitat for Humanity (TX)
- Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County (IN)
- Our Towns of North Mecklenburg-Iredell Habitat for Humanity (NC)
- Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East (OR)
- Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County (IN)
- Habitat for Humanity Tucson (AZ)
- Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity (MN)
- Habitat for Humanity Vail Valley (CO)
Local Habitat organizations considered for the honor were reviewed by four criteria: Building a Sustainable Organization, Building Community Impact, Building Sector Impact and Building Societal Impact.
About Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County
Since 1987, over 428 families in St. Joseph County have partnered with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own home alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. With Habitat’s help, homeowners achieve the strength, stability, and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
About Habitat for Humanity
Driven by the vision that everyone needs a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity began in 1976 as a grassroots effort on a community farm in southern Georgia. The Christian housing organization has since grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in nearly 1,400 communities throughout the U.S. and in more than 70 countries. Families and individuals in need of a hand up partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Through financial support, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable
housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves. Through shelter, we empower. To learn more, visit habitat.org
Habitat for Humanity of St. Joseph County, Indiana