Aging in Place
Aging in Place
The goal of Habitat for Humanity’s Aging in Place program is to help seniors over the age of 60 in St. Joseph County continue to live in their own homes and community safely, independently and comfortably.
The Aging in Place program works in collaboration with several other community programs that focus on serving adults over the age of 60. The Aging in Place program focuses on projects that are outside the scope and/or budget for many of our partnerships that will help these seniors remain in their homes longer.
Funds for roof projects in South Bend have all been utilized and are no longer available.
Funds are currently available for roof replacement for Mishawka properties only.
Please contact us for details at (5740 288-6967
As the years wear on individuals and their homes, maintaining the dream of homeownership becomes more difficult with age especially for low-income older adults. Maintaining older homes with inefficient energy can become expensive, and poor home accessibility can result in injuries and medical problems. Our program offers up to $15,000 of home repairs to individuals who are 60 years of age and older, live in St. Joseph County IN, and meet certain income requirements.
You may qualify for the AIP Program if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You own and live in your own home full-time (NO RENTAL HOMES)
- You are 60 or over; or someone who lives in your home is 60 or over
- You live in St. Joseph County
- Your city and property taxes are current
- Your mortgage is current
- Your homeowner’s insurance is in place and current
- You plan to stay in your home
- Annual income combined of those 18 years and older living in the home is less than the maximum allowable income based on the table below.
Must be below the Maximum Allowable income for household size to qualify.
|# People Living in Household||Maximum Allowable Income|
All Aging in Place program clients are required to pay a $25 fee to Habitat to cover the cost of recording the deed restriction with the St. Joseph County Recorder.
Habitat will pay all costs for the materials and Aging in Place work as a forgivable loan, but a restriction will be placed on your home. You will not have to repay the loan unless you sell or transfer ownership of your home within five (5) years after the Aging in Place work is complete. Each year you live in your home the loan amount is reduced by 20% and at the end of the five (5) year period there is nothing owed on the loan.
Work for 2021 includes:
- Only roof repairs for our 2021 season.
Aging in place repairs do NOT include:
- Cosmetic Work
- Rental property, mobile homes, condos, and anything that is NOT a single-family, detached home.